Tuesday, April 28, 2009

New Blog

It's been forever and a day since I kept up a regular blog. I just lost my motivation, and quit. This time, I really want to stick with it. Really. I stay more inspired when I keep track of my accomplishments and what I'm doing.

Anyway, I recently pulled out a favorite quilt top of mine (photo to the left - cats included, of course). I've avoided sandwiching and quilting it for eons. Why? Because it felt incomplete.

I love the colors, and the repeat stripe that I used. It's why I made this top the way I did. I wanted to show off that glorious border print. I actually really love the fact that I used a thin stripe of a mustard yellow fabric around the main portion of the top. I think it helps it 'POP' some. But the more I looked at it, the less happy I was with it.

Finally, about a month ago, I determined that it needed another border around it. So, I went shuffling through my stash, certain that I had enough of each of my green, blue and aqua fabrics used in the top to cobble together a simple border.

Boy, was I wrong!

Apparently, I used every last scrap of each of those fabrics to put this bad boy together. That only made my dilemma that much harder. Should I give in and just quilt this thing, to get it out of my (ever-growing) UFO pile? Or should I cave and see if I could find fabrics in similar colors?

I finally gave in last payday and purchased 14 fabrics that coordinated with my quilt. They're not the same exact fabrics, but they match the color scheme. I'm much happier now with the addition of this five-inch wide border. Now, I just have to select a backer fabric, decide which red fabric I'm going to use for binding, and get this sucker quilted.

On the whole, I'm pretty happy with it. At least, I'm far happier than I was without that border.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Random fact? Put it here!