Friday, May 7, 2010

For My Modify Tradition Swap Partner

1. Stash Busting Bee: November, 2. Rett's Black & White Stringer - Explored, 3. "Lazy Afternoon" Zig-Zag Quilt, 4. Mini-Pinwheel Quilt, 5. My Angel Quilt DQS#8 from Anita., 6. cs13, 7. modify tradition blocks, 8. Amy Butler Sorbet, 9. This Way and That Way

Color and fabric choice truly do make a quilt 'modern'.  Bright, funky, expressive and large prints tend to say 'modern' to me more than anything else.  I love color.  I've been known to buy fabric that's positively screaming.

Right now, black and white, brown, aqua, turquoise, and red fabrics have been making their way into my stash.  The purer the color, the better.  I've also been buying a lot of batiks.  Again, the brighter the better.  Clearly, I have a soft spot in my heart for lime green, if my mosaic choices are anything to go by.

Solid fabrics, and their clever use, also screams modern to me.  I'm totally in love with using black and grey as my neutral, instead of white.

As for block patterns?  I love them all!  I'm especially drawn to pinwheels, flying geese, New York beauties, and anything comprised of HSTs!

I come from a traditional quilting background - I taught myself to quilt out of a really old book, and made all of my first quilts by hand.  One of my first quilts done that way was a Double Wedding Ring quilt, so traditional patterns do hold a special place in my heart, though I much prefer to see them brightened up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Random fact? Put it here!