Wednesday, July 28, 2010

OMG! So Good!

I've recently discovered an awesome food blog, Smitten Kitchen.  And, I'm totally in love.  There's an emphasis on vegetable-based dishes, which is totally awesome, considering my re-affirmed dedication to eating better.


Well, a bit of poking around led me to a recipe for a Zucchini and Ricotta Galette.  "What the heck is a galette?" you might ask.  (I know I did!)  Well, apparently, galette is a general term used in French to designate various types of flat, round or freeform crusty cakes.  


Sounds yummy already, doesn't it?


Good.


'Cause it IS!  


Now, I know: crust and ricotta cheese don't exactly make for a super healthy meal. But, DAMN, is it delicious!  Particularly when combined with a deliciously leafy salad.  And, yes, I ate the salad first, thus limiting myself to ONE small slice of this galette.  I was even super good with the dressing, and used only one tablespoon of Sasha's Sweet & Dill-icious on the leafy green yumminess.  (Which is a whole 'nother taste party in my mouth, particularly on chunks of cucumber.)


Anyway, the galette was so good, my son Zebediah kept asking for more.  I call that a 'win' in my book.  This is going onto regular meal rotations.  The zucchini and ricotta balance each other nicely, totally melting in your mouth.  And the crust...  Oh, the crust!  Truly an experience, and so, so easy!  (I'm baking challenged, so if I can do it, anyone can!)


And now, just to tantalize you into making this meal, this is what my plate looked like before I demolished it:

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Looks yummy, Jeanne. And since I, too have some zucchini (okay, yellow squash) to use up, I think I'll give it a try. I have to second the Sasha's dressing - I took a tiny bit to work for my cucumbers (from Lisa - are they not the best cucumbers you've had in a long time?!) and it was the perfect light complement.

Vortex33 said...

I love that site and have made that same recipe. *yum* I've also tried the lemony zucchini goat cheese pizza and the recent raspberry brown sugar gratin but with bananas since that is what I had sitting around. We eat a lot of fresh veggies here so I like to browse food blogs to come up with new ideas.

Foodgawker and Tastespotting are two sites for great inspiration also!

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Random fact? Put it here!