Thursday, October 14, 2010

Think Modern Thursday #7 - The Square Family Reunion.

And I'm finally back with Think Modern Thursday!  And I'm even trying to work ahead and get next week's TMT ready to go.  Oi vey...  I've been working too much.  As I typed TMT, I wanted to type TMNT, which is the acronym for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which I typed several times today while updating our inventory system.


But anyway!  I'm caffeinated and ready to go!


This week I bring you The Square Family Reunion by Linda Miller.  Check out her flickr!  Linda is awesomely prolific and has tried several different techniques and styles.  One of her tops, Pure Color, has even warmed my opinion on the whole Stack'N'Whack thing.  But that's a top for another discussion!  For a more in depth look at Linda's body of work, check out her web page.

T-The Square Family Reunion
Linda said, "I always enjoy making the boxes - scrappy ones are really fun! The name came from the fact that the little boxes, which finish at two and a half inches, made me think of a bunch of little kids running around:) For the other boxes, I just made up sizes that would work with the little boxes and also that used the sizes of strips and squares that I have."


I love the way this went together!  It's actually serving as the inspiration for the backing for one of my quilts.  I like that there's a huge variety of prints, and that not all of them are 'modern'.  It's the fearless throwing together of so many prints that really wins this one over for me, since I started my quilting life as a scrap quilter.


And you know what I thought of first when I saw the preview image for this top? 


Klimt.  Gustav Klimt. 
Do you see it?

The incredible, and deceptive, texture Klimt gave to his textiles by using repeated, slightly warped geometric shapes?  

Are you getting the sense of motion?  That the subject could move off the canvas at any moment?

That's what I felt when I saw The Square Family Reunion for the first time.  Like the squares could dance right out of their border, and do so gleefully.  While Linda's squares aren't warped, they have a delightful sense of movement to them.


Tee-hee.  It's a square dance.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great quilt! SO much colour! So much movement!

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of one of my favorite quilts, Little Cities by Kathy York.
http://aquamoonartquilts.blogspot.com/2006/03/little-cities97-x-97-i-started-this.html
I actually wrote a fan letter because of that quilt. The Square Family Reunion has similar shapes, and the same sort of exuberance.

autumnesf said...

I've tried putting Gustav's "the kiss" into one of those quilt making programs with no success. I'd love to make a quilt of that! Currently doing a cross stitch of it for the wall.

quiltmom anna said...

I love this box quilt- so much fun and such great funky colors - Just love them all...
Thanks for sharing and for the link..
Regards,
Anna

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Oh wow! I love this quilt! What a great bunch of fabrics having fun together.

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Random fact? Put it here!