Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Quilt-Along!

Yesterday, I was shopping at Walmart with my mother-in-law, looking for things for Zeb, and for her new apartment. In six short weeks, Ma will be moving into the same apartment complex, which I'm very excited for. As much as I love Zeb, he can be a handful, and having Ma around to baby-sit on occasion will be a relief.

Anyway, I found a cute, little, metal trashcan in an aqua color, and decided I had to have it for my scraps. I was simply keeping them in a canvas shopping bag. This meant that the kitties and kiddo would get into them on a regular basis. The trashcan is the perfect height for my scraps and to hide away my scissors and rotary cuttery out of Zeb's sight.

In other news...

As if I don't have enough UFOs, but now I've gone and joined crazy mom quilt's quilt-along. There's also a Flickr pool at which to view everyone else's blocks. I'm a little late to the party - we're seven days in, which means I should be seven blocks in.

However, I did get five of them made this afternoon while Zebediah was napping. They went together gratifyingly quickly. It's been so long since I did something as simple as a nine-patch that I'd forgotten how snappy they were, even with stopping to press open my seams. I'm also making sure to cut extra 2.5" squares for the borders so that I'm not stuck cutting 144 of them at the end of doing all the blocks.
In the process of selecting fabrics for the nine-patch blocks, I discovered one more yard of the black fabric framing the blocks in "Not My Favorite Top". More than a little irritated here. And fighting the urge to rip hours of stitches out and make the top the way I wanted to. Considering how little I like the thing right now, I might just do that, if I have enough of the other fabrics. On second thought, I'm lazy, and just DONE with that top.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always have a tonne of UFOs too - this year I decided that I can make as many tops as I like, as long as I completely finish at least one per month. I'm liking my new system because I'm actually finishing things, and I don't feel guilty about making new tops!

Your colours for your nine patches are very pretty. :)

Grey Cat said...

Thanks :) I'm actually trying to make each nine patch as vibrant as possible. I'm avoiding the more muted colors in my stash for this project.

My goal this year is to take every project to the finish line. There's no reason for me not to - I have a new machine quilting frame, just awaiting the completion of the fabric leaders and a replacement part.

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Random fact? Put it here!