Thursday, March 17, 2011

Who's Ready for a Quilt Along?

Things are finally quieting down on my end - Super Bowl Mania is over (I'm deep in Packer Country), so work is a lot less hectic.  My mother-in-law is back from her vacation in California, so Zeb is thrilled to be spending time with Grandma again.

Plus, I got the Double Wedding die set for my GO!  I'm excited to play with that tonight.  And for those of you with GO! cutters - check out amazon.com for dies.  I got my DWR for 41% off the retail price of $89.99.  I also got my Hexagon die for about the same savings.  Interestingly enough, I only ordered them two days ago - I'm close enough to the warehouse that those come out of to have gotten them in 48 hours, and to have not paid for shipping at all.

But anyway!  The point!

The point is...

I'm going to start, in April, a Double Wedding Ring Quilt Along!  Check back here as April 2 comes closer.  I'm starting to do fabric requirements and measurements now.  I'll be doing a few sets of requirements:  one for those who are going to use GO! cutters, the Omnigrid DWR templates, as well as a set for some templates from EQ7.

My end goal is to have a queen-sized DWR top by the end of this quilt along.  Now I just have to decide on a time frame.  I know most blog quilt alongs don't drag on, but DWRs involve a lot of curves, and that's an area a lot of folks just aren't comfy in.  Don't worry!  I'll post lots of photos, and tips and tricks.  I've made two DWRs before.

What do you all think?  As far as timeline goes?  Two months? Three? Four?  Longer?  Let me know in comments!  (I tried doing a fancy schmancy poll, but it didn't load correctly)

12 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I have always wanted to do a DWR. I think the longer the better for those without the GO cutters and taking into consideration the curve sewing.

krisgray said...

I would love to do it, always wanted to do a DWR. However, springtime is not a good time for me to be starting new projects. But I will follow along and get some tips. Maybe I will save it for the throws of August, when it's too hot to step a foot outside!

Anonymous said...

So, um... Jeanne? You wouldn't happen to want to bring the Go cutter and DWR dies to a future quilting day, would you? Because I'd sure as hell rather cut the pieces that way!
As for timeframe, I'd put it at 2-3 months. Long enough that we can complete a large quilt, but not so long that we get sidetracked. (Of course I'll get sidetracked anyway...)

Starquilter said...

I think4-6 months is a good time frame...if I can find them, I have some John Flynn templates from way back when....have always wanted to do one of these...

Cory said...

I just found your blog through Piecemeal Quilts. I was enticed by the mention of a Double Wedding Ring Quilt-a-Long. I have been wanting to do one for a very long time and have been collection 30's fabrics for it. This will be the kick I need to get started. Count me in. Thank you. Take care and God bless, Cory

Cory said...

P.S. I think 4-6 months would be good. Cory

KatB said...

I've made at least 3 DWR quilts and am looking forward to a Quilt Along to pick up tips from other quilters. My son is getting married this October and I have promised a DWR which I haven't started. This is just what I need to get going!

Michelle said...

I don't know about joining but I'm definitely going to follow your DWR QAL! I'm here from Piecemeal Quilts Blog via the Scientific Quilter Blog. I just got the Omnigrid templates on clearance and I would love to see some tips for them! The only thing is, I haven't seen any really inspiring color choices to make me jump at doing one. The traditional colors don't excite me and I don't think I have enough scraps. Regardless, I'm following you to keep an eye out for it!

Leah said...

Would love to do one, but I don't have any fabric for one yet... I was planning on doing a double wedding ring table topper for my brother as a wedding gift... maybe I should find some fabrics!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Oops, I found you thru Piecemeal quilts and I left my question over there...
I have the Marti Michell templates for the Double Wedding Ring quilt, can I use these for the quilt along?

Life In A Pink Bunny Suit said...

Hmmm...GO has DWR dies? Need to check it out...

Ann said...

I am going to purchase the DWR for my GO! But it will take some time getting it here (from the US to Denmark). So I think I will have to be a lurker during this quilt-along. I love your initiative!!

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Random fact? Put it here!